If you're a dog owner, you should be aware of the foods that are toxic for your pet. In fact, some of these foods are readily available in your kitchen, pantry, or refrigerator. So, what do you need to know about toxic food for dogs? Keep reading for more information from Valley Veterinary Hospital of Helena, MT.
Toxic Food for Dogs
We eat many foods or use ingredients in our cooking recipes that we need to be careful with around our furry companions. Here are five everyday household foods that are toxic to dogs:
- Garlic and onions- Keep garlic and onions in any form (raw, cooked, and even powder) away from your dog. They can cause damage to your pet's red blood cells or even cause anemia.
- Caffeine- Caffeine from coffee or tea can be deadly if ingested. Keep drinks or food with caffeine out of reach of your dog.
- Raisins and grapes- It could be tempting to give your dog a grape, much like other treats you give them, but they are dangerous to its health. Even small amounts can make your dog very ill.
- Chocolate- There is a substance in chocolate called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Avoid giving your dog any kind of chocolate, especially dark chocolate.
- Dairy Products- Dairy products can give your pup an upset stomach or diarrhea. Foods Safe for Dogs
It's always best practice to feed your dog high-quality pet food and the recommended dog treats by a veterinarian. However, foods that are generally safe include lean meats that have been trimmed, white rice, and some vegetables. Always consult with our veterinary team if you're not sure.
Visit Us for Toxic Ingestion Treatment from Our Veterinarian in Helena, MT
Has your dog eaten something they shouldn't have? Call our veterinary team right away so your dog can get the professional treatment they need. Also, if you have any questions about safe food for dogs, contact our office for more answers.